Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here is the solution for Mouse pointer drift?

HI! Friends do you have the same problem?

My mouse pointer was fine, suddenly it started acting weird. It started moving in its own direction on its own. In the beginning it dint bother me much but later, it started to annoy me to the core, I was literally going mad. Whenever I wanted to click some icon it became very difficult. Before I click, the pointer would have moved and I would have clicked something else. Once I got so angry, I thought of throwing it away but I could not, I had paid for it and it was a new one!

1) Before I had scroll mouse and this used to happen, All I used to do was open the mouse clean the ball and the socket containing the ball. But this was optical mouse I dint know what to do! Though I clean it from outside no change it still was very erratic.

2) Try changing your mouse pad, if you are using a mouse pad. Sometimes due to uneven surface also leads to this kind of problems.

3) I called up my service center they asked me to change the drivers I used, I uninstalled my existing old mouse drivers and installed the new drivers, it did work but only for two days. I didn’t have the patience to do all this every two days…, I went online tried to know what exactly the problem was! I researched a lot and found few solutions which have worked for some people.

4) Go to Start, Control panel, double click mouse settings a window will pop up, there again click on pointer settings:

• There you decrease the speed of the mouse pointer. This was like punishing the mouse pointer for drifting on its own but mine was stubborn one didn’t come to right track even after decreasing its speed, and it was more of a punishment to me, as I could play my games that efficiently.
• You can also deselect the “Enhance Pointer Precision”.

5) One more option was to scan your machine with latest anti-virus, I did this! Guess what? I found few Trojans were there on my comp. I tried to disinfect but I could not. So, I had to reinstall the whole operating system. If you are able to solve the mouse drift by deleting the Trojans and disinfect your comp with anti-virus, you need not to reinstall the operating system, as it takes about an hour and might lose all data stored in your machine.

If you have the same problem you can try all this. In case all these solutions doesn’t work for you! Then changing the mouse might solve the problem.

If you own a laptop/notebook and have the same problem then you can follow “Step 3, Step 4 and Step 5”. Here are few more solutions for laptop/notebook:

Decrease the sensitivity of the touch pad.
Turn off Pointer Stick/Stick Mice in the middle of keyboard, on your notebook. This is the most popular solution for all the notebook holders.

Few laptops doesn't give an option to turn off the "Pointer Stick". In that case you will have to manually open your keyboard and disconnect the cable connected to your "Pointer Stick".

Here is a link that help you disconnect the cable connecting to your Pointer Stick.
http://digitalrocketsurgery.com/a-solution-to-dell-laptop-mouse-drift.htm

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear they are fixing that mouse problem. Fixing the bugs in the system, should make a lot of people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my optical mouse started going crazy a few days ago, long after i got a new mouse pad so the pad is most likely not the problem, because when using hard plastic surface it does the same thing. i am currently scanning with malwarebytes antivirus and i bloody well hope its some dirty homeless man named trojan that i can club to death with antivirus

    ReplyDelete
  3. my optical mouse started going crazy a few days ago, long after i got a new mouse pad so the pad is most likely not the problem, because when using hard plastic surface it does the same thing. i am currently scanning with malwarebytes antivirus and i bloody well hope its some dirty homeless man named trojan that i can club to death with antivirus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You so much for sharing great ideas. All the information provided by you is really informative and helpful. Great work, keeps us updated with your informative blog.

    slim hub port

    high speed hub port


    ReplyDelete